Publishers and broadcasters across the globe are supporting this year’s big day.
On 28 September, news organisations will come together to raise awareness of the critical role journalists play in developing trusted news.
The day will be presented by the Canadian Journalism Foundation (CJF), the World Editors Forum (WEF) and the World Association of News Publishers (WAN-IFRA) and organisations already taking part include CNN, The Washington Post, The New York Times, The South China Morning Post and many others from across the world.
One of its supporters here in the UK, the Society of Editors commented on its timeliness. Executive director Ian Murray said: “With journalism under attack in so many forms it is essential we find the time to remind the public of what we do.
“It is easy for busy newsrooms to be so consumed with the actual business of sourcing and delivering edited, balanced, trustworthy news that they do not find the moment to shout about their roles. This is that moment.”
How can you get involved as a news organisation?
- Run a World News Day ad in your publication
- Share a story of why #NewsMatters on #WorldNewsDay
- Solicit an opinion piece from a source who has been impacted by journalism to run on World News Day
- Devote editorial to why #NewsMatters
- Pool and publish high-impact content from 100 newsrooms