Open to sustainability SMEs and charities, the five winners of the prize will collectively receive £1 million in prime advertising inventory
The five winners of the Times Earth Ad Fund are:
- Clim8 Invest, a sustainable investment app allowing clients to support environmental innovation
- UFODRIVE, the world’s first all-electric, all-digital car rental company
- Homethings, a company creating refillable cleaning products
- SURI, the world’s first truly sustainable electric toothbrush
- Creating Tomorrow’s Forests, an initiative that plants trees to create more diverse UK woodland habitats
Entrants were asked to detail a sustainable initiative, invention, product or service that would help Times readers to lead more sustainable lives.
As well as bagging £200,000 each in prime advertising inventory in The Times, The Sunday Times and Times Radio, each winner will also receive help and advice in marketing, messaging and branding.
The prize came off the back of research conducted by News UK showing high levels of concern and engagement from Times readers in issues of sustainability and climate change. Over the last 12 months alone, half of The Times readers said they had become more engaged, but only 29% said they felt more informed.
Despite this, 83% of readers felt the world was headed towards climate disaster unless we change our habits. As a result, 72% of readers recycle all possible household items and 56% have cut down on car travel.
Ben Spencer, The Sunday Times’ science editor, said: “More and more readers of The Times and The Sunday Times want to know what they can do to live sustainably.
“The Times Earth digital hub is uniquely placed to inform our readers about climate change and our environment and will be the perfect platform for these sustainable businesses to spread the message about their innovative products and services.”