News & Opinion

The Guardian reaches milestone of 500,000 regular paying supporters

Members and subscribers in more than 100 countries make up the regular paying supporters of the publication.

The Guardian has more than doubled its regular paying supporter base in the past 12 months. Approximately 80% of these supporters take digital subscriptions or memberships, with the remaining 20% subscribing to the Guardian's print publications.

In mid-2016 the Guardian began offering readers the option to make one-off contributions to support its journalism. In the last 12 months, it has received more than 300,000 individual contributions from readers in over 140 countries, resulting in revenue of several million pounds.

Overall, 800,000 readers have supported the Guardian financially in the past 12 months.

The Guardian first launched membership in the UK in 2014, launching the offering in the US in 2015 and Australia in 2016.

As part of a three-year strategy launched in 2016, the Guardian is focused on growing reader revenues – building on the relationship with readers rooted in the Guardian's journalism, ethos, unique ownership structure and global outlook. A key goal of the strategy is for Guardian News and Media to break even at operating level by 2018-19, helping to safeguard the Guardian's journalism in perpetuity.

Katharine Viner, editor-in-chief, Guardian News and Media, said: "Now more than ever, the world needs progressive journalism that is committed to facts. The most important relationship the Guardian has is with its readers, so we are encouraged and cheered by the hundreds of thousands of people supporting Guardian journalism.

"We must continue to earn our readers' trust and support – which will be the bedrock of our future success and sustainability."

David Pemsel, CEO, Guardian Media Group, added: "Building deeper relationships with our readers has been a critical part of our three-year strategy and we are pleased with how this is progressing so far.

"We cannot be complacent, and we have much more to do. Over the next two years we will continue to establish firm foundations which will secure the Guardian's financial and editorial independence in perpetuity."

The Guardian has no proprietor and just one shareholder, The Scott Trust, meaning that any financial gains are reinvested into its journalism.

You can read Katharine Viner's piece marking the milestone here.

Source: The Guardian 

by Lydia O'Neill 26/10/17

Want the latest news, opinion and insight on newsbrands?
Sign up and we'll send you a weekly update.

Sign up here

Get in touch

120 Charing Cross Road

020 7839 8935


Keep up to date

Please take a minute to answer a few questions on our new website. The feedback you provide will help us make the website easier for you to navigate and ensure you can find the content you’re after. In addition, we’ll enter you in to a prize draw for a £100 Amazon voucher*.

Take Survey Not now Never